Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Haunting Hour "Uncle Howee" Episode Discussion

learned:

* so far, more cool than scary. I mean, five-year-old me would have LOVED it if Grover from Sesame Street would have talked directly to me through the tv screen using my name. that would have been magical, not dark.

* dude, at least get a new plate for those gross fish sticks...

* "my mom is such a drag, she's like this nurse or something that helps sick and injured people. I know, bro, I know, she just doesn't get me, slackers who want to see movies have rights, too, ya feel me?"

* again, not scary, who WOULDN'T want to be friends with the Ice King?

* if you ever wanted to know how Spongebob would sound like truly menacing...

* this piece was ruined by the brother's bad acting. he was trying to be your typical bored, put-upon teenager, but he was too lackadaisical and not spiteful enough. the writing called for him to be a bully, but it came out as him just being a pathetic sad sack. the sister didn't ever really seem threatened by him, she saw him for the powerless loser that he was.

* series finale? if so, it had a good run. yes, this last season was definitely not as sharp as the previous two, but overall, this was a good effort. I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows, I'll always watch and be a fan of young-adult Canadian anthologies, the tv landscape is poorer whenever we don't see grey skies, weirdness, and smart-mouthed kids from broken homes. remember also, this is horror, but horror for kids, they can't really go all the way with things, y'know? no episode in this series freaked me out to the point where I couldn't go to sleep that night, but you could tell they tried, and they cared. they were giving it their all to make a good show, not just another show. it showed.


No comments: